Double Degree Master Program in Mechanical Engineering in cooperation with Tsinghua University Beijing
- © V.Popov
Since the beginning of 2014, there is an agreement between the TU Berlin and Tsinghua University Beijing on a double degree Master's program in Mechanical Engineering / Physical Engineering. The double degree program between TU Berlin and Tsinghua University, which was only signed in 2014, immediately raised great interest. In the near future, it is planned to extend the stays under this double degree program to Shenzhen, where Tsinghua has an extension. Shenzhen is a major city in Guandong Province - the economic engine of China. Here, 30% of Chinese exports are produced, including high-tech companies such as Lenovo. In 2013, Lenovo had already left the former market leaders Hewlett-Packard, Dell and Apple behind and sold more PCs than any other corporation worldwide. The same applies to countless other companies in the metropolitan area, which also includes Hong Kong, Macao and Guanzhou.
Part of the master courses will be held in Berlin, the other part in Beijing. After completing the studies, the student will receive two degrees, one from the TUB and one from the THU. The languages required are German, English and Chinese. Requirements for the participation are:
- Bachelor's degree from a German technical university
- Knowledge of the English and Chinese languages
The module catalog
provides the following study contents:
- At least 18 credits advanced mathematical courses
- At least 54 credits in two strong points, which have to be chosen from the list of six strong points listed below
- From these 54 credits, at least 24 credits should be chosen from each of the strong points and at least 24 credits should be chosen from the "core area", defined in the module catalog
- At least 6 credits of the category "project"
- At least 24 elective credits (with at least 9 credits in technical subjects and at least 9 credits in non technical subjects)
- Master thesis
- Advanced language courses may be chosen to fulfill 12 non-technical elective credits
The list of the strong points: numerics and
simulation, fluid dynamics, mechatronics, solid state mechanics,
thermodynamics, technical acoustics.
The DAAD supports study visits as part of the double degree program with monthly scholarships of € 800 plus a health insurance subsidy and a travel allowance.
Information to download:
- Study Regulations 
- Module catalog 
- Agreement 
Website Tsinghua University 
Many practical information from our first participant in the program, Johannes Hörmann, is available here .
Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Valentin
Technische Universität Berlin
Institut für Mechanik
FG Systemdynamik und Reibungsphysik
Sekr. C8-4, Raum M 122
Straße des 17. Juni 135
Tel.: +49 (030) 314-21480
Email: v.popov(at)tu-berlin.de 
Juliane Wallendorf / Tini Wabnitz
Tel.: +49 (030) 314-23454
Fax: +49 (030) 314-72575
Email: Juliane.Wallendorf(at)tu-berlin.de  // Tini.wabnitz(at)tu-berlin.de